At first blush, I And Love And You cat food comes across as a peculiar tongue twister. As it turns out, the natural cat food company looked to the American folk-rock band the Avett Brothers and their song, “I And Love And You” for its unconventional name. Unlike the bluesy, bittersweet tune, I And Love And You Cat food makes it easy for pet parents to express their love for their furry companions through food. Co-founder Steve Ball puts it this way, “[I And Love And You] is meant to embody the bond between human and pet and combat the sea of sameness within the pet products industry.”
Our top picks for I And Love And You cat food:
- Oh My Cod Paté
- Whascally Wabbit Pate
- Chicken Me Out Paté
- Salmon Chanted Evening Stew
- Lovingly Simple Salmon and Sweet Potato
- Naked Essentials with Salmon and Trout
- Naked Essentials Indoor Health Control
- Nude Super Food Poultry a Plenty
- Hair Meow’t Hearties
The I And Love And You cat food story
I And Love And You was founded in 2012 by Marty Grosjean, owner of Only Natural Pet Store in Boulder, Colorado. Looking to expand his business, Grosjean decided to launch his own raw dog food company. He recruited three seasoned professionals to help him get I And Love And You up and running: Brendan Synnott (Bear Naked Granola founder), Chris Bentley (Aspen Pet Supplies co-founder), and Steve Ball (former General Mills and Nestlé brand manager).
Since then, I And Love And You has expanded to include a line for cats and has become one of the leading holistic pet food companies
Is I And Love And You a good cat food?
Yes. I And Love And You recipes are vet-formulated from real and uncomplicated ingredients. Dedicated to making nutritious holistic cat food accessible, their products stand a cut above the rest.
I And Love And You cat food is known for its high protein and grain free recipes. All of their wet and dry cat food starts with high quality and easy to digest meats. There are never any meat by-products, hormones, antibiotics, GMOs, artificial flavors, colors, preservatives, or harmful fillers like carrageenan. All I And Love And You cat food products meet AAFCO standards and are fortified with essential vitamins, minerals, and considered nutritionally balanced and complete foods for cats of all ages and life stages.
Unlike other competing holistic cat foods, I And Love And You doesn’t overdo it with vegetable, fruit, or plant protein ingredients. There are a few recurrent superfoods like pumpkin, sweet potato, and cranberries, but the amount isn’t excessive.
I And Love And You canned wet cat food is a particularly outstanding option. For one, I And Love And You’s wet cat food has some of the lowest carbohydrate levels in the cat food industry. For another, their meat-first canned cat food is loaded with healthy omega fatty acids, features multiple species-appropriate animal proteins (like iron-rich chicken and turkey livers), and doesn’t have a lengthy list of vegetable and fruit ingredients.
I And Love And You wet cat food
Oh My Cod is one of I And Love And You’s most beloved wet cat food offerings. Starting with omega-3 fatty acid loaded cod, and hearty wholesome organ meats like chicken liver, this high protein paté is appropriate for kitties of all ages. Crafted from easy to digest and species-appropriate ingredients, this softly textured low carb wet cat food is an exceptional choice for senior cats, indoor kitties, and cats who may struggle with weight gain. Select plant ingredients like flax seeds, sweet potatoes, and carrots add essential vitamins K and C and a nice boost of fiber.
- The first four ingredients are protein-rich, highly digestible meats
- High protein and high in omega-3 fatty acids
- Very low carb content
- The paté is soft enough for senior cats and cats with sensitive or missing teeth
- Contains chicken so it’s not appropriate for cats with poultry allergies
- Some cat parents think it has too many veggie and fruit ingredients
- Some people find the food to have a strong odor
Whascally Wabbit is consistently one of I And Love And You’s highest rated cat foods. Featuring multiple animal proteins like rabbit, beef liver, and salmon oil, this high protein low carb wet cat food is a flavorful, highly digestible option for cats of all ages and life stages. There are some plant-based secondary ingredients like spinach and carrots, but the amount is minimal and they bring a nice boost of vitamins and fiber to a cat food. Whascally Wabbit is also one of very few non-prescription widely available and affordable cat foods on the market to not contain any poultry or eggs!
- The first three ingredients are high-quality meats
- High protein, moderate fat, and low carb content
- Limited and easy to digest vegetable ingredients
- Contains no poultry or eggs, which are common food allergies in cats
- Contains salmon so it’s not appropriate for cats with fish allergies
- Cats who prefer chunky wet food might not like the texture
Chicken Me Out is another one of I And Love And You’s most popular wet cat foods. This paté is species-appropriate, easy for cats to digest, and loaded with vitamins, omega fatty acids, and other essential nutrients. Like all of I And Love And You’s wet cat food Chicken Me Out is enhanced with biotin, vitamin B12, and folic acid which are essential for red blood cell production, maintaining healthy skin and fur, and aiding digestion and metabolism. This wet cat food isn’t as low carb as I And Love And You’s other paté options, but it’s still high quality, affordable, and easy to find low carb option and one of the best on the market today.
- The first three ingredients are high-quality meats
- High protein, moderate fat, and low carb content
- Limited and easy to digest vegetable ingredients
- There’s no carrageenan
- Contains salmon oil so it’s not appropriate for cats with fish allergies
- Cats who prefer chunky meat might not like the texture
- It contains three gum thickeners
I And Love And You has three chunked meat or stew-style wet cat food options. Salmon Chanted Evening Stew is often the best seller of the trio. The heartier, chewier, texture of this wet cat food appeals to kitties who don’t like the soft, smoothness of paté. Crafted from the same high-quality animal proteins as I And Love And You paté wet cat food, including organ meats, eggs, and salmon oil. Unlike the patés, this stew-style cat food contains a bit more carbs and fat, but not at levels that are concerning. There are a few veggie ingredients that bring a natural boost of fiber and vitamins to this wet cat food.
- Real salmon and high-quality chicken are the top ingredients
- High protein, moderate fat, and easy to digest
- Doesn’t have an excessive amount of vegetable ingredients
- Contains no carrageenan
- Cats who prefer chunkier meat like the texture
- Cats who only like paté might not like the texture
- There’s not much gravy in this “stew”
- Not appropriate for cats with fish or poultry allergies
- It’s not as low carb as the paté options
I And Love And You dry cat food
I And Love And You Lovingly Simple dry cat food is the holistic cat food company’s take on limited ingredient diets. Lovingly Simple Salmon and Sweet Potato dry cat food has just one animal protein: salmon. There are no poultry, egg, or beef ingredients in this dry cat food, making it high quality, highly nutritious, and is an affordable option to costly prescription limited ingredient cat food. Only three veggie ingredients appear in this dry cat food, making this more species-appropriate than some of the other leading holistic cat food kibbles on the market.
- The first ingredient is salmon
- Contains limited veggies and plant proteins
- Fortified with enzymes, probiotics, and prebiotics for digestive health
- The kibble is small enough for kittens, senior cats, and cats with missing or sensitive teeth
- More affordable than many prescription limited diets
- It’s high in carbs
- Some cats don’t like the fishy flavor
- Not appropriate for cats with sensitive stomachs
One of I Love And You cat food’s signature kibbles, Naked Essentials Salmon and Trout is a standard holistic grain free cat food. It starts with easy to digest animal proteins and contains no meat by-products, fillers, or artificial additives. All Naked Essentials products are enhanced with probiotics and prebiotics for digestive health, making this dry cat food a decent choice for cats with sensitive stomachs. However, there’s not a lot that sets this apart from other grain free holistic cat foods. It contains multiple starchy, high carb veggie ingredients like peas, pea flour, lentils, and beans, and it only has a moderate level of protein.
- The first three ingredients are high-quality animal proteins
- No meat by-products or fillers
- Fortified with probiotics and prebiotics for digestion
- Some cats experience fewer hairballs and have healthier, shinier fur after eating this
- Contains chicken, turkey, and eggs, so it’s not appropriate for cats with allergies to them
- Very high in carbohydrates
- Contains multiple, starchy, carb-heavy vegetables
I And Love And You Naked Essentials Indoor Health Control dry cat food is formulated to target weight management and digestive wellness. Indoor kitties have long been plagued by the “fat and lazy” house cat trope (we’re looking at you, Garfield). Unfortunately, many indoor cats are less active and struggle with weight gain. In the US, 50% of all cats are overweight or obese. This dry cat food contains fewer calories than other I And Love And You kibble. It’s bulked up with extra fiber and protein to keep kitties feeling full and satisfied. Probiotics and prebiotics contribute to a healthy digestive system, reducing cases of upset stomach, loose stool, and vomiting.
- Kibble pieces are small enough for kittens and senior cats
- Contains 15% fewer calories than other I And Love And You dry cat food
- It doesn’t have a strong odor/isn’t stinky like some cat food
- Some cats experience fewer stomach problems when they eat this
- Many cats have noticeably shiner and healthier fur after eating this
- Contains fish meal so it’s not appropriate for cats with allergies
- Has too many veggies for some cat parents liking
- It still has relatively high carbohydrates
Holistic vets have found that small amounts of nutritious coconut oil, like that found in this dry cat food, could ease arthritis pain and inflammation, relieve dry and itchy skin, and reduce hairballs. Double duty ingredients like this play key roles in I And Love And You Nude Superfood dry cat food. Poultry A Plenty starts with high-quality meats and easy to digest animal proteins like eggs, chicken liver, and turkey. It’s rounded out with “superfoods” like coconut oil, pumpkin for fiber and immune system health, and cranberries for a boost of antioxidants. Added probiotics and prebiotics make this dry cat food especially good for kitties with sensitive stomachs or digestive system problems.
- Contains five high-quality animal proteins
- High protein and moderate fat
- A good source of omega-3 fatty acids
- Probiotics, prebiotics, and added enzymes aid digestion
- It contains herring meal and oil so it’s not appropriate for cats with fish allergies
- May have too many vegetables for some cat parents liking
- It’s somewhat high in carbs
I And Love And You cat treats
Salmon and chicken liver are the first two ingredients in these adorably heart-shaped treats. Aptly named Hearties, these I And Love And You cat treats are crafted from the same high protein meats and superfoods as their wet and dry cat food. I And Love And You Hair Meow’t Hearties feature flaxseeds and pumpkin for extra omega fatty acids, fiber, and essential nutrients. These tasty little nuggets also feature sunflower oil, fish oil, and vitamin E to give kitties healthier skin and softer, shinier fur!
- High-quality chicken and salmon are the top ingredients
- Contains superfoods and extra vitamin E for healthy skin and hair
- They’re soft enough for cats with sensitive or missing teeth
- It’s not appropriate for cats with fish allergies
- It contains guar gum thickeners
- Some cats don’t like the taste
What are cat parents saying about I And Love And You cat food?
Now that we know all about I And Love And You cat food ingredients and their brand philosophy let’s see what cat parents (and their hungry feline friends) like and dislike about I And Love And You meal time.
Positive I And Love And You cat food reviews
“My cats LOVE this food and trying to get 3 cats to eat the same thing is nothing short of a miracle. Plus it DOESN’T have peas in it which is another reason to celebrate! Hallelujah, FINALLY a good quality food without all the junk that cats enjoy!” by 6Felines on Chewy.com (I And Love And You Whascally Wabbit Paté)
“One of my cats who never eats wet food actually loves this one. She is the first one to run over to her bowl. The other two cats love it too. They are satisfied and full after eating this so I do not need to put out as much dry food. I’ve [also] noticed that their fur is softer and shinier.” by Ralphie Dude on Chewy.com (I And Love And You Oh My Cod! Paté)
“My 12 year old cat began having a problem with diarrhea due to a stomach bug. I needed a plain food that would be extra gentle on his system. We tried this and were extremely pleased with the way in which it helped him to recover. The stomach bug ran its course and he was able to get the nutrition he needed throughout the illness. We will be trying other flavors of this product as it seems to be to his liking!” by Kaleidoscope Lancaster on Chewy.com (I And Love And You Lovingly Simple Salmon and Sweet Potato)
Negative I And Love And You cat food reviews
“My cats hated this food. This was labeled as stew but is more like minced meat. The chicken was perfectly cut into cubes and there was no gravy at all. This line of food seemed good and I’m sure other kitties like it but mine sure don’t. Sorry to have to give a thumbs down.” by Maddie on Chewy.com (I And Love And You Chicky Da Lish Stew wet cat food)
“I really can’t rate this as my cat would not even try it. I put it out for a week straight mixed in with the dry food he likes but [there was] nary a morsel eaten. Finally gave up and donated it. It seems like an excellent food but a no go for my sweetie.” by Turnip on Chewy.com (I And Love And You Nude Super Food Poultry ‘a Plenty dry cat food)
“My cat always scarfed this beef up, but this past order she ate very little of it. I used to open a can and she’d be at my feet saying ‘hurry up’. Now I open it, put some in her dish, and she sniffs it and walks away. Something must have changed (recipe or ingredients) because she has gone from love to blah.” by Page on Chewy.com (I And Love And You Beef Right Meow! Paté )
Who owns I And Love And You cat food?
I And Love And You cat food is independently and employee-owned.
Where is I And Love And You manufactured?
All of I And Love And You’s products are manufactured and packaged in the United States.
Where do I And Love And You’s ingredients come from?
Most of I And Love And You’s ingredients come from the U.S. and Canada. The company does globally source some ingredients like lamb from New Zealand and rabbit France.
No meats, vegetables, proteins, or any major ingredients are sourced from China. Small amounts of vitamins, minerals, and nutrients like Vitamin B6, folic acid, and taurine come from China.
But I And Love And You isn’t alone in having to rely on China for some of their nutrients. According to consumer reports, as of May 2020, a whopping 96% of U.S. taurine shipments come exclusively from China.
Is I And Love And You grain free?
All of I And Love And You’s cat foods are grain free. Formulated to “mimic” cats’ ancestral diets, I And Love And You is never made with corn, wheat, or rice. The company also leaves out filler ingredients like soy and white potatoes.
Where can you buy I And Love And You cat food?
I And Love And You cat food is widely available in physical storefronts and online. I And Love And You can be purchased on Amazon, Chewy.com, Thrive Market, Target, Walmart, and Pet Flow. Large grocery chains like Wholefoods, Stop and Shop, Key Food, and Safeway markets also regularly stock I And Love And You cat food. You could also check I And Love And You’s location finder to see if any brick-and-mortar independently owned pet food stores in your area sell the brand.
Did I And Love And You have any recalls?
I And Love And You cat food has had no recalls. However, in 2015 I And Love And You recalled treats from their dog food line due to potential salmonella contamination.
What kind of cat food does I And Love And You make?
I And Love And You makes wet cat food, dry cat food, and treats for kittens, adult, and senior cats. These lines include:
- I And Love And You Cat Cans Wet Cat Food: This grain free wet cat food comes in two textures paté or chunked meat and is available in nine flavors. Paté flavors include Beef Right Meow!, Chicken Me Out, Purrky Turkey, Savory Salmon, Oh My Cod!, and Wascally Wabbit. Chunked meat, or stew style flavors include Chicky Da Lish Stew, Salmon Chanted Evening Stew, and Tuna Fintastic Stew.
- I And Love And You Naked Essential Dry Cat Food: I Love And You’s signature dry cat food line. All Naked Essentials products are grain free and contain probiotics and prebiotics. Varieties include Chicken + Duck, Salmon + Trout, and specifically formulated Digestive Support, and Indoor Health kibble.
- I And Love And You Nude Dry Cat Food: Available in two flavors, Surf ‘N Chick, and Poultry A Plenty, this dry cat food is high protein, grain free, and packed with superfoods and powerhouse plant proteins like pumpkin, cranberries, and sweet potatoes. This dry cat food is also fortified with pro and prebiotics for digestive health.
- I And Love And You Lovingly Simple Dry Cat Food: I And Love And You’s Lovingly Simple line is the brand’s take on limited ingredient diets. Available in one flavor, Salmon + Sweet Potato, this dry cat food is grain free, high protein, and doesn’t contain any poultry or beef ingredients. This dry cat food also includes I And Love And You’s signature blend of pro and prebiotics.
- I And Love And You Hearties Cat Treats: These grain free heart-shaped treats are appropriate for cats and kittens and come in two flavors: Hair Meow’t Salmon, and Meow & Zen Chicken
Alternatives to I And Love And You cat food
If your heart isn’t set on I And Love And You cat food here are three alternative options from other cat food companies that also emphasize high protein and grain-free recipes.
Founded in 2007 Weruva is a family-owned grain free holistic pet food company. Paws down Weruva has some of the top-rated and most beloved wet and dry cat foods when it comes to cat parents in search of species-appropriate cat food.
You can read more about our favorite Weruva cat foods: Weruva cat food review
Weruva is a fussy kitty’s dream! Weruva has dozens of canned, pouched, dry, and supplemental cat foods available in dozens of different recipes, with meats and textures to satisfy every kitty’s craving. All of Weruva’s cat foods start with high-quality hormone-free meats, and never contain any grains, gluten, carrageenan, meat by-products, or anything artificial.
Weruva’s cat foods are appropriate for cats of all ages and are nutritionally balanced and complete. Their ingredients are both US-sourced and globally sourced. Weruva is manufactured in Thailand in human-grade facilities.
Weruva has had no recalls, but their sub-brand B.F.F. was recalled in Australia in 2017.
Merrick Purrfect Bistro
Purrfect Bistro is a line of grain-free and high protein wet and dry cat food from the well known US-based Nestle-owned pet food company, Merrick. Founded in 2013, the wet and dry options in this holistic cat food brand boast at least 70% of their protein from high-quality meats and contains no artificial ingredients or cheap meat by-products.
Like I And Love And You cat food all of Purrfect Bistro’s recipes are enhanced with probiotics and prebiotics for digestive health and contain extra omega fatty acids for healthy skin and hair. All of Purrfect Bisto’s cat foods are nutritionally complete and balanced and appropriate for cats of all ages.
Purrfect Bistro cat food is manufactured in the US from US-grown ingredients and farm-raised meats free from antibiotics or hormones. To date there are over 40 Purrfect Bistro products, ranging from grain-free kitten kibble to stew-style wet cat food featuring novel proteins like rabbit, there are options for even the most finicky felines.
Purrfect Bistro hasn’t had any recalls, but some of Merrick’s other dog and cat foods have been recalled.
Stella & Chewy
Stella & Chewy is an independently-owned grain-free holistic cat and dog food company. Stella & Chewy was founded in 2003 as a raw pet food company and has gone on to introduce freeze-dried raw and cooked options to their line of cat foods.
All of Stella & Chewy’s wet and dry cat foods are made from high protein, hormone-free, and easy to digest meats and animal proteins, and unlike I And Love And You, contain locally-sourced organic fruits and veggies. There are never any artificial ingredients, cheap fillers, soy, wheat, corn, soy, or any other pesky additives in Stella & Chewy cat food.
Stella & Chewy is manufactured in the US with select ingredients from New Zealand, Europe, and South America. Unlike I And Love And You and a majority of cat food on the market today, Stella & Chewy gets their taurine from Japan, not China.
Stella & Chewy has had two recalls due to Listeria contamination.
I And Love And You is one of the best widely available holistic cat foods on the market. Each recipe is developed by a holistic veterinarian and is enhanced with essential vitamins, nutrients, and probiotics that make it a balanced and superb option for cats of all ages.
I And Love And You’s exceptional wet cat food is especially notable for its species-appropriateness and the emphasis on high quality, easy to digest meats and animal proteins. There are limited carbohydrates in I And Love And You’s wet cat food, and along with the high protein and fiber content they’re an especially good choice for cats who may be overweight, obese, or who may need to lose weight.
While I And Love And You dry cat food has clean and uncomplicated ingredients, moderately high protein levels, and multiple types of meat making it a better choice than less thoughtfully crafted bargain brands.
Last update on 2021-03-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API